21 December 2007

THE Question

What is the meaning of life? Does life have a meaning? If yes, what is it? What does it all mean?

Searching for the Truth 'within' is futile. It is like peeling an onion. You peel away layer after layer, and finally you find there is nothing inside. It is empty. Hollow. If there is Truth, it is to be found 'without' - in the real world, among real people. They say the world is false, an illusion. I don't know. As far as I am concerned, this world is my only reality. I do not know any reality other than it, or beyond it.

It is possible that the journey without will also lead to nothing. But, as they say, the journey is more important than the destination. Or, as someone else said, play the game as if it matters.

"The only way to find yourself is to lose destroy yourself in the service of others." - Mahatma Gandhi

2 comments:

Indian said...

Comment from Nithin:
I disagree with your viewpoint that the way to reality is outside in the world and not within. I believe that one has to first discover oneself within and only then will the outside world make meaning. The perspective of the outside world is dependent to a great degree on how we perceive ourselves first. "Who am I?" remains a very important question for self enquiry. We may never find any answer, but the quest leads to our inner depths which enables us to understand and feel ourselves and the world which we create.

Snazzy said...

I dont agree with the previous comment either..that we need to find an answer within us to make sense of the world.Through my little experiences so far,I feel that both the above arguments are lopsided.In my opinion, its the mix of the two ideas that gives one a whole composite picture.We start off very naively and its then that outer world gives us more depth and understanding.That only deepens when He gives us the wisdom to peek inside ourselves and this helps us come closer to THE question.So although others help us, its also what we make of it by taking a long hard look at ourselves.. and it's a constant ride on the merry-go-round of life that ultimately takes us to our destination.